CONFIDENTIAL PROJECT – LEED V3
Project Title and Location:
Owner, Client and Project Team:
Information withheld due to confidentiality
LEED & Sustainability Consultant: Green Technologies FZCO, Dubai, UAE
Renewable Energy Consultancy Services for LEED: Feasibility of Enhanced Renewable Energy Potential
Maximized LEED Credit Points for improved Integration of Renewable Energy
Review the existing Renewable Energy System Design on the Project, and explore viable opportunities to enhance the Renewable Energy Potential on site, to maximize energy savings in the building.
Green Technologies, the LEED and Sustainability Consultants on the Project considered enhancing the Renewable Energy Potential on the Project as per Design Intent through the following approach:
- Base Case – Installed capacity of solar PV from 270 kWp with an expected annual energy yield of 445 MWh, through the following approach:
- Proposed Case 1 – by utilizing the same Solar PV System configuration as per the original design intent, but system selection to include fora high performance, higher efficiency installed solar PV capacity of 386 kWp thereby increasing the Solar Power Output Density (W/Sq.m) per the same roof area. Annual Energy Yield was estimated at 645 MWh.
- Proposed Case 2 –Enhanced revised Design considered utilizing additional roof area viable for solar PV integration. System selection included for the highest efficiency design as practicable to produce an Annual Energy Yield estimated to be around 5910 MWh, through an installed solar PV capacity of 3.55 MWp.
- Centralized Solar Hot Water Solution to satisfy a daily hot water demand of 25,595L for showers and lavatory faucets operating on a 24/7 occupancy profile.
Validation of Design by System Modeling
Green Technologies validated the proposed design case by conducting extensive system modeling and simulation utilizing cutting edge modeling tools such as Design Builder, an advanced whole building energy simulation tool with the latest modeling technology on the market to aid with Building Integrated Renewable Energy Projects so that Clients and Project team can make informed decisions to reduce a building’s impact on the environment.
Green Technologies’ recommendations were based on proven technology to enhance the use of solar PV and Solar thermal for hot water heating. Our Assessment and enhanced Design Criteria on the Project presented the following highlights with respect to Project’s sustainability goals and LEED Credit achievability under LEED BD+C V3 Rating System:
- Established compliance with EAp2: Minimum Energy Performance, by exceeding the minimum level of energy efficiency for the proposed building and systems to reduce environmental and economic impacts associated with excessive energy use.
- Maximized Potential to achieve LEED credit points (7 points for Proposed Case 2 vs. 1 point for Base Case)by resulting in 14.49% of annual energy offset through the contribution of Renewable Energy, exceeding the compliance requirements of EAc2: On-site Renewable Energy.
- Through Whole Building Energy Simulation option where contribution of Renewable Energy is accounted for, Project targets 15 points for producing 40.64% in Energy Cost Savings on the Project, satisfying compliance requirements of EAc1: Optimize Energy Performance.