Dubai Water and Electricity Authority (DEWA), in following through with their commitment to sustainability, has pursued sustainable Architecture and Engineering for their new facility located at Al Ruwaiyah, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
In accordance with the DEWA mandate of achieving LEED certification, the development comprised of 13 Buildings has selected LEED 2009 for New Construction and Major Renovations using the LEED Campus Guidance – Group Approach for LEED certification. Unlike the typical one-building certification where compliance will be documented for the single building only, using the group approach has been a challenge to the entire team as each building must independently meets all the LEED prerequisites, and credit points will be awarded based on the performance of the project as a whole. Thus, this development within one LEED project registration, in a single LEED boundary will receive a single rating and certification.
Completed in June 2015, the DEWA Garage and Workshop which houses the DEWA’s fleet vehicles, repair and maintenance workshops and other associated facilities necessary to carryout complete vehicle repair and maintenance activities, was awarded of a LEED Gold certification from the U.S. Green Building Council on 11th August 2015. This means all the 13 buildings have met independently the sustainability requirements for all mandatory prerequisites and pursued credits, making this project as “The First Group Gold certified Service Facility in the Middle East” as well as “The Largest Gold certified Service Facility in the Middle East”.
The LEED certification process was facilitated by LEED Consultant, Green Technologies, who have worked with the USGBC in developing the LEED strategies considering the complexity of this project, managed the submission process and documentation, and ensuring attainment of the required points for Gold certification.
Below are some of the significant sustainability features of the project:
- Thermal Efficient building façade, low energy lighting system, water-cooled air conditioning system, energy star rated office equipment and appliances, cumulatively resulting in 31% more efficient in energy consumption than ASHRAE Standard 90.1-2007 Baseline Building
- Use of highly efficient water fixtures that results to 52% potable water savings
- Efficient landscaping through use of recycled wastewater for irrigation and native plant species
- Provision of preferred parking spaces for carpool and low-emitting vehicles
- Reduced Heat Island effect through use of SRI-compliant materials for building roof and vehicle parking spaces.
- Diverted 83% of construction waste to recycling facilities
- Ventilation system design as per ASHRAE Standard 62.1-2007
- Thermal Comfort design as per ASHRAE Standard 55-2004
- Measurement and Verification Plan as per IPMVP as an ongoing monitoring process
- Use of locally manufactured building materials
- Use of building materials with recycled content
- Use of low VOC materials such as paints, adhesives, sealants, & flooring systems.
DEWA Garage and Workshop
Al Ruwaiyah, Dubai, UAE
Green Technologies FZCO
China Railway 18th Bureau
LEED Fundamental & Enhanced Commissioning Authority:
Green Technologies Fzco.
Site Area – 990,903 SF No. of Buildings – 13 Buildings Gross Floor Area – 215,793 SF Rating System – LEED-NC v3 Points Achieved – 64 Points Certification Level – Gold
- Project Planning 20.04.2011
- USGBC Registration 02.08.2012 – 1 building 11.05.2013 – 13 buildings
- Beginning of Construction 22.05.2013
- Project Completion 31.06.2015
- LEED Gold Certification 11.08.2015