Engine Health And Fitness, Jumeirah 1st, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
The goal of Gulf Marketing Group (GMG), the Owner of the Project, is to make the ‘Engine Health and Fitness’, a world-class gym by incorporating sustainability features in the fit-out works for the well-being of their clients.
|Owner:||Gulf Marketing Group|
|Fit-out Contractor:||The Fitout|
|Interior Design Architects:||NORR Group Consultants International Ltd|
|MEP Consultants:||Green Technologies FZCO|
|Electrical/MEP Consultant:||SEED Engineering|
- Full refurbishment of all existing mechanical and electrical systems
- Use of energy efficient Heat Pumps used for both airconditioning, water heating and reheat systems.
- Application of a simple but effective Building Management Systems
- Ductwork fit-out strategy to fit on tight spaces within the project.
- Improvement of air distribution within the fitness centre to achieve acceptable thermal comfort.
- Thermal comfort design as per ASHRAE Standard 55-2004
- Upgrade of Fresh Air Ventilation System by providing more than the minimum ventilation required by ASHRAE Standard 62.1 2007.
- Use of Heat Recovery Wheel on Fresh Air and Exhaust System.
- Ventilation Control and Monitoring thru CO2 sensors and Fresh Air delivery monitoring system
- Above 25% reduction in lighting power based on ASHRAE 90.1-2007 maximum lighting power requirement
- Use of Daylight control and occupancy sensors
- Specifying Energy Star rated equipment and appliances to ensure low energy consumption thru miscellaneous loads.
- Submetering system for continuous monitoring of energy and water
- Diligent Commissioning of the Building Energy Systems
- Water savings above 36% through the use of water efficient fixtures
- Efficient flush and flow fixtures
The goal of Gulf Marketing Group (GMG), the Owner of the Project, is to make the ‘Engine Health and Fitness’, a world-class gym by incorporating sustainability features in the fit-out works for the well-being of their clients. In keeping with their commitment to Sustainability, the project uses sustainable interior design and has appointed Green Technologies as the Project’s MEP Specialist and LEED Consultant and Enhanced Commissioning Authority.
In line with the sustainability design aspiration and to become leaders in innovation in energy efficiency, there are several energy conservation strategies that were thought of and the most appropriate design that fitted the purpose of the facility is a heat pump system.
The heat pump system was employed to reduce the energy consumption of both airconditioning and water heating system since these two systems are the most predominantly used among other engineering systems in the facility. The condenser side of the heat pump is used to heat the water for showers and wash basins and provide hot water to the reheat systems while the evaporator side is used to cool the cold water requirements and add additional cooling capacity to the facility’s airconditioning system. This system consumes 1 energy input and delivers two energy outputs which make it highly efficient.
With all these energy conservation measures incorporated in the project together with other LEED requirements, on 6th November 2012, Engine Health and Fitness was awarded of a LEED Gold Rating under the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED 2009 for Commercial Interiors Rating System.
Other featured MEP Engineering projects
Energy Conservation Measures for Emirates Flight Training Organisation – Airside Facilities