Al Mamzar Island Development, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
The Mamzar Island pertains to the mix-use real estate development of approximately 90 hectares (900,000Sq.m) land area, conceptualized to be a part of the Palm Deira Masterplan of Dubai. The development consists of landmass approximately 1.8 KM long and 400 M wide creating a circumference of the island at 5 KM with 300 apartments (G + 8) and 600 villas with 2 ½ to 3 story construction.
|Client:||MAF Investment LLC|
|Sustainability ® Consultant:||Green Technologies FZCO|
- Optimize the usage of resources such as energy, water and natural materials and reduce their consumption through best practices and innovative solutions, in turn, increasing its efficiency and reducing costs during all phases, i.e., design, construction, operations and maintenance.
- Reduce infrastructure development costs.
- Comply with fundamental sustainability requirements, in line with local government regulations, Dubai Municipality Codes and Environment, Health and Safety standards of the Ports, Customs and Free Zone Cooperation.
- Follow a set of sustainable development guidelines in planning and designing the Development, that would lead to achieving a globally recognized sustainable building rating such as LEED or BREEAM that would be pursued when an appropriate version of either, would be made available.
- Prioritize the optimization of a balance between waste water, and treated waste water that would be used for irrigation of common and plot areas and other process uses.
- Introduce innovative energy and water saving technologies to buildings across the site, giving prominence to passive measures an adding value to the end user.
The development will provide access to water views, beaches and private vessels. The site is located in the north east of Dubai and will be connected to the rest of Dubai by a network of public transport systems such as roads and boulevards, and waterbody where water taxi services will be available. The site infrastructure will provide easy access and egress of island community. This development primarily consists of the re-development of a previously developed landmass, within sea near the location called Mamzar in Dubai.
MAF wishes the project to earn an international environmental accreditation or rating such as LEED to recognize the projects desire to promote sustainable development by adopting measures associated with Energy, Water, Material and other social and environmental issues. In this regard, MAF has commissioned the professional services of Green Technologies on integrating the Development’s sustainability requirement as outlined below, to the planning and designing of same.
The highlights with regard to the Development’s infrastructure are listed below;
- Potable water for the Development will be supplied from the mainland (through DEWA).
- Sewage treatment up to tertiary level will be carried out within the Island.
- The Island will be served by 132 KV power supply from the mainland to meet the electricity requirement (through DEWA).
- The Island is likely to use bus transportation available near Mamzar Park to promote public transportation for the daily population which is likely to be about 6000.
- Water taxis might be introduced to supplement the above, during the course of the development.
- The development might also introduce alternative fuel vehicles such as electric cars to meet the transportation requirements for kid’s pick up.
- The installation of a district cooling chiller plant in order to supply the cooling necessary for the island’s demand.
- Elimination of storm water infrastructure by passive means.